Commercial construction continues to grow
Date: 20 May 2016
It seems that everywhere we look these days in Auckland there’s construction work taking place. Whether it’s new homes, apartment blocks, school buildings, offices, shops - the construction industry has certainly made a massive recovery since a few years back when things looked very bleak for the major players and contractors alike.
Evidence of the continued building growth across the country can be found by looking at the figures
from the number-crunchers at Statistics New Zealand. When comparing the December 2015 quarter
with the September quarter of the same year (after price changes and seasonal variations are removed), we see that:
- Non-residential building activity rose 2.3%
- Total building activity rose 2.5%
- The trend for all building work grew 1.8%, and is at its highest level since the series began in late 1989 – 2.8% higher than the earlier series peak in 2005
In terms of current prices this equates to the actual value of all building work being $1.6 billion on non-residential buildings.
Higher education consents
Given our work with a number of educational establishments, we were interested to see a report from Statistics New Zealand issued in February 2016 that the value of consents for education buildings increased strongly in 2015. Valued at $1.1 billion, this was an increase of $404 million from 2014, and accounted for half of the overall increase in non-residential building consents.
In 2015, the regions with the highest value of building consents for education buildings were:
- Canterbury – $420 million
- Auckland – $260 million
- Wellington – $178 million
Of the $1.1 billion total, 70 percent was for new buildings, while 30 percent was for refurbishment of existing buildings.
At Topline Roofing we’re happy to report that we are busy building roofs across all commercial sectors. We believe we’re in demand for a number of reasons, including:
- We’re easy to work with – with a fully established team from tendering and pricing personnel, through to our project management and operations personnel, we have staff to look after your project at every step of the way
- Our pricing is competitive, we only use the very best in materials, and have strong relationships with some of the top manufacturers in NZ
- We understand the importance of health and safety – this applies to our staff, your personnel and members of the public
Give us a call if you need advice on roofing for a new build, a quotation for a project, or you’d like us to submit a tender – 0800 111 818.